Friday, July 18, 2008

The Challenge of a Lifetime

I have realized recently more than ever how easy it is to be negative and be mean to people. It may be gossip. It may be judging people. It may be tearing other people down because of a certain way they act, dress, or do things. This is the easy way to live.

What about if we reverse it? Try going through a day without a negative thought. Try getting through a day without saying something judgemental or gossip-like about another person. Try getting through a day where you see people for who they are inside and not on the outside. Try and see the good in every one all day. Assume the best intentions of everyone who may cut you off in traffic or eat your food in the fridge at work.

Why is that so hard? Why is it so difficult to be nice to people? It is easy to love those and care for those people who love us and care for us in return. What about being kind to those who dislike us and may even be plotting against us?

Pride is a dangerous thing. It is even more dangerous if we cannot see it in ourselves. Where to start cleaning out the closet of a whole lifetime of protecting ourselves against being hurt by tearing down others?

I am as guilty as anyone else. However, I am ready to start doing better. I know I will fail miserably most days; nevertheless, I will move forward with faith that I will make progress and I will have unbelievable experiences in my efforts to be better. Wish me luck.

No comments: