Saturday, December 10, 2011

OCCUPY: Home

Although I remain aloof from any of the OCCUPY movements I recognize that they are capturing some major headlines at the moment. I have been surprised and impressed at times by the commitment of some of the individuals who spend so much time in this cause. As I think of my schedule and consider how I could carve out the kind of time many of these interested parties are dedicating in an effort to make their message heard, I would have to cut into something else I do. I work. I serve in my church. I spend time with my family trying to be the best father and husband I can be. I have to admit that I wouldn't want to give up any of those commitments to my time.

Am I selfish? How could anything be accomplished if it wasn't protested in the streets by people making sacrifices? Those are both good questions. I will tackle both but attempt to be brief in my thoughts and explanations.

Am I selfish?

Yes, and no. I am selfish in focusing on where I think my priorities should be. I refuse to have others dictate to me where my priorities should be. Why have freedom if you cannot use it? My commitments to my God and my family take precedent. I don't deny that. I have been given very little time with my children and my wife. I want to make that time count and not spend the empty nest years of my life wondering why I didn't spend more time with my children when I could have.

I would not consider myself completely selfish because a lot of my time is spent serving others and not my own vain ambitions. Every slice of time we give is a demonstration of where our heart is. Spending time with my children playing a game can be an effort to help them learn. I happen to love it but it is a gift to spend the diminishing resource of time with someone else. Anything I do in my church activity is for the benefit of others. I usually receive many benefits from that service but it is not the driving force behind my willingness serve.

How could anything be accomplished if it wasn't protested in the streets by people making sacrifices?

I firmly believe every social ill and plague can be solved better by working in one's home than protesting in the streets. Lasting change comes when childen are reared in homes where love abounds and responsibility is taught. I know that isn't the reality right now but we have a front row seat to the impossible challenge of trying to fix society through legislation and regulation. No amount of government interaction will reduce dishonesty or people who have a desire to take advantage of another. We have just too many people that don't care.

We must have a firm commitment to raise the next generation teaching them about attributes such as honesty and integrity. They must feel genuine love. They must have time with their parents in order to be taught. Too many parents are working too much. Their kids just want more of their time. Many spend more waking hours at daycares during the week than they do with their parents. On weeknights and weekends when they could be home with their parents learning from patterned behavior, many pass that precious time at ball fields and other leisure activities. Many homes are broken. I grew up in a broken home so don't think I don't have some experience that regard and how it isn't always a choice.

Kids see too much that isn't reality. They see "reality" television which is anything but reality. They see the constant disregard for human life in the television programs, video games and movies as well as expressed verbally in music and then we wonder and scratch our heads how current horrific scenes of violence take place across the world.

Parents and educators are fearful of teaching their children the difference between what is right and wrong because they may be legally reprimanded or bullied publicly for their beliefs. Instead, almost anything goes morally. The lack of a clear line between right and wrong leads to everything being a shade of gray and rationalized under those pretenses.

So, where does my protesting take place against what I see as the root of society's ills? Where do I feel the greatest good can be done for the future? Who do I stand next to as I take a stand against evil forces designed to destroy the very fabric of this world? I OCCUPY my home. As often as I can for as long as I can. I ask the questions during family dinner each night. I help with the homework. I give a lot of hugs and kisses. I encourage creativity. I correct behavior when necessary. I help them draw the life lessons from the activity that happens to them every day. I dry the tears. I wipe the noses. I hold the tired or sick bodies. I fold the laundry and do the dishes. I communicate with my partner in this endeavor who happens to also be my best friend. I thank God for the opportunities and don't hesitate to ask for His help in all I do.

I am not better than anyone else. My priorities and perspective may be different. We all walk according to the burning in our hearts. This post reflects mine. You will never see my name on the news for doing some great deed or being in the spotlight. Nevertheless, my actions impact the future.

No comments: