Sunday, July 8, 2007

Retirement

This has been on my mind lately. Not because I want to retire right now, but because I want to start planning for it now. If I really start to think about the actual numbers - I am completely overwhelmed. The conversation in my head usually starts like this:

Mind: What age do you want to retire at?

Mouth: 55

Mind: How long do you expect to live?

Mouth: I would guess I will live into my 90's possibly. My first grandparent just passed away earlier this year and he was 98 years old. My other grandparents are all in their 90's and none of them are in a state where they can't get around. So....I will say 90 years old. Of course, I also know if I keep employing ice cream makers around the world, I may leave this earth a lot sooner.

Mind: That is 35 years to live off of your retirement!

Mouth: I know (slightly annoyed tone)!

Mind: Good luck, dude!

This is the part where I get overwhelmed and put off thinking about it seriously a little longer. Especially when I begin to contemplate what some of the next questions may be. How much money do I have in a retirement now? How much do I need to live off of it for 35 years? How much savings do I have right now? Can I pay off a home before I retire? What lifestyle changes must I make now in order to properly save for retirement, college, and missions for my children? What am I ready to give up? Will my kids want to and be accepted to BYU?

The list goes on and on. They are questions that need to be answered regardless of how young I am if I want a secure future. Soon I will be answering all of these questions because I refuse to put it off any longer. Wish me luck!