Thursday, September 27, 2007

Snippety-Snip

After several years of paying for cable television - we finally cut it off. Don't get me wrong, we have almost always only had the basic package for some time, but we cut it all off. I haven't missed it one single moment. I found that it was a time sucking vortex - and I don't even watch tv that much. My pitfall would be after the kids go to bed and I just want to unwind and not think a little while before I go to bed. So, I flip on the teli with the intent to watch a show or so before climbing in bed. I watch the first show and then stumble upon a murder mystery special or a documentary. I watch that and then I see something interesting on the news, so I would wait up to see that. Then I would realize I could get all the scores from the day's sports events in just a few minutes. Then it would just be a little longer until Leno and Letterman and I can turn the channel back and forth to get the funniest parts. By the end of these nights (not as often as I might portray it, but enough), it was 1am or so before going to bed and my wife has been asleep on the couch for a couple of hours.

I would be tired the next day and really feeling silly that I had stayed up so late. I would not do it for a few nights and then I would be back. April and I had pretty much finished the New Testament a month ago or so and we started reading the Doctrine and Covenants. We also started reading a great book by Randal Wright called "25 Mistakes LDS Parents Make and How to Avoid Them". We started discussing the media and decided we could live without cable. I canceled the service the next day. Life is great!

I recommend it to everyone. Just do it and see what happens. One of two things will happen. 1. You will notice how great it is and the time you have to do other things that may be more enriching to your life. Or, 2. you can get a great deal coming back to a service on your favorite cable package. I don't think I will ever go back and I am grateful for it.

1 comment:

April J. said...

I am grateful too. Love you!