Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Communication

I love my kids! They provide comic relief at the most unexpected times. They say the funniest things. What is really funny is that I have to think back to prior conversations sometimes to figure out why they said what they said. Usually, they say something funny and I remember talking to them about something in the past that skewed there way of looking at something. Since they believe every single thing that comes out of my mouth, I have to be very careful. I also have to remember that they love what I love. This post is especially near and dear to my heart.

We have begun over the last month or so to go over to my mom's house every week for our Family Home Evenings. It is a good time for the kids to be at grandma's house and Grandma June (my 91 year old grandmother) usually comes over as well. It has been going very well. Tonight's lesson was on the Be's by President Gordon B. Hinckley. If I was as cool as my wife, I would have a link here to where you could read about these Be's. Someday I will be that cool. The lesson was going well.

April was talking about "Be True" and what that meant. She had explained that being true meant keeping the commandments that we have been given from our Heavenly Father. She then asked who else should we listen to that is here on earth?



I will now take a second to tell you about Haylie. Haylie is our oldest twin (5 minutes). Her gospel knowledge is growing rapidly but most of her answers to questions in these scenarios are "Jesus Christ" or something having to do with him (he was baptized, he lived, he died, etc.). I give her tons of credit because she is 3.5 years old and she is trying.

Back to April's question - I could see that Haylie was about to say one of her favorite answers and I thought I would help her say the right answer to impress her siblings. I leaned over to her ear and I whispered, "The prophet". She smiled and I knew she was going to say it loud and strong because she knew she had the right answer from Daddy.

I could see her open her mouth and out came, "Boba Fett!" We all started laughing very hard. Just the fact that she had said a Star Wars character was hilarious. Then, it hit me that she had heard Boba Fett from my mouth. Proph-et and Boba Fett both end in "et" and that is what she thought I had said. I really started laughing then. I wonder if it ever crossed her mind that Boba Fett would be a weird answer in that setting. Oh well.



Yes, kids! Follow the prophet (President Thomas S. Monson)!!!! Not Boba Fett. He was a greedy bounty hunter who worked with the sinister Jabba the Hutt. Not to mention if you followed him you would be swallowed alive by the Sarlacc at the Pit of Carkoon (Yes, I am that nerdy!). Lesson learned.

No comments: