Thursday, September 11, 2008

One of My Favorites

I thought I would share one of my favorite scriptures from the Book of Mormon. I have been thinking about it a lot recently. This scripture is spoken by Jesus Christ when he visited the American continent shortly after his resurrection. He taught the people of the Americas many of the same teachings He taught in Jerusalem. In 3 Nephi 13:33, He says, "But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all of these things shall be added unto you."

I think we usually have this backwards in our lives. Many times, we want to get the things we feel will give us happiness and pleasure in life before we seek after the kingdom of God and his righteousness. We feel we will be much better people of faith after we are not worrying about earning enough money or the fun things we could do instead. So, we tend to put those things first. It needs to be the other way around.

We should seek God first. That should be every day. Then, we don't have to rely on ourselves to try and do everything. God will add it unto us if we have chosen to put him first. This is the question I always ask myself. If I believe this scripture to be true (which I do), why would I not put the seeking of the kingdom of God first in my life? Am I afraid? Is it just easier to put whatever I feel like doing first instead of what God may want me to? I think that may be it.

I believe that as I do what this scripture says, I will have everything else added unto me. I may not know exactly what that everything else is, but I know that God has a better understanding of what I truly need in life than I do and he will bless me with it as I put him first.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your blog is coll