Monday, September 8, 2008

Twilight Sickness

If you are reading this you may have the same problem I do. I will keep this brief because I don't want to get started too bad. My lovely wife LOVES the Twilight series. I don't think love is even close enough to describe the passionate feelings she has towards the series. Before the fourth book came out, she read all of the books twice in about a week. I have told her she can tell me about them if she wants because I have stacks books I want to read before I would ever crack the cover of the love story between Edward and Bella. So, I know a little about the story.

I like to see my wife just be sucked into these books. I would get a good chuckle every now and then when I could tell she was picking up the book to read as quick as possible as soon as I left the room. This happened a lot. She would also try her hardest to try and listen to my day while she has the book clutched in her hand. I knew how bad she wanyed to just tell me to go to the store so she could finish the next chapter. I found all of this amusing. I had never seen my wife so goo goo over a book before.

I still had a Twilight free Oasis - my work. No matter how Twilight intense home was, I could always plan on escaping it a little at work where overhearing make up conversations seemed like a blessing as long as the words vampire, werewolf, or Volteri were not mentioned or the names Bella, Edward, or Jacob. It was a good balance.

Then, I made a HUGE mistake. My wife had just finished the last book and I was looking forward to a little reprieve from the series. I started recommending the book to some of the girls at work. A few of them read and I thought they would enjoy it. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. It spread faster than a wildfire in the seventh year of drought. I started hearing the names and the words. I started seeing the books on everyone's desk. I could tell who was reading the books by the dark circles under their eyes. Mainly, they would stare at the computer screen and dream about Edward all day. There was no escape. Home or work - I was trapped.

We have about 26 employees. 2 males and 24 females. 11 of the 24 female employees are reading the books. All of them. I think I may sue Stephanie Meyer for lack of productivity at my workplace due to her books (I am, of course, kidding). I would be lying if I said the books do not have an addictive quality among all who read them. Women seem to forget all other responsibilities and the world around them while they read these books. As an outsider watching all of these people read the books, I don't know whether to laugh because it is quite comical to watch or call for help for these people because their brains seem to fall out of their heads when they start reading the words.

I had to write about this because my therapist said so. Just kidding. I just think it is entertaining more than anything. Before you respond with hate mail (all two people who read my blog - avid Twilight readers), I have no problem with it. I do find it quite amusing though. Maybe some day I will read them.......or, not.

Disclaimer: I purposefully left out many funny events that have taken place in relation to Twilight reading consuming life from home and work. I would not want to point anyone out particularly and possibly embarass someone. Also, my wife approved this blog posting. I love you, Honey.

1 comment:

Nicky said...

You have said many negative things regarding Twilight. I am calling Edward so he can bite you. You better be careful on your morning runs.